Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What’s Your Phobia?

Everyone’s afraid of something it seems, and nobody is either so solid in mind and resolve or so secure in their own skin not to be afraid of one thing or another. Me? I’m afraid of unpredictable things like quick moving mice and fast spiders. Mice and spiders by themselves don’t bother me, but when they’re free to run as they please, there’s no telling where they’ll head…and that just freaks me out. I’m afraid of other things too, the usual, really: Falling, drowning, electrocution… you know, the normal things that usually kills a person.

I enjoyed Gary Larson’s “Far Side” for many years until his early retirement in 1995; I always got a kick out of reading them, and one of my favorite panels shows a kid being chased around a kitchen table by a pair of Timber Wolves with this caption: "Luposlipophobia: Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet." That’s great, and it led me tonight to wonder this simple question: Since phobia-related words are always big, cumbersome and hard to pronounce, is it possible to have a fear of big words so much that the mere phobia that describes your condition scares you?

Apparently there is.

According to Urban Dictionary, Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of big words.

Ironic, ain’t it?



For a complete list of real phobias, click Here.

No comments:

 

web site tracking
Sierra Trading Post